DESC - Exterior Head-of-Wall Drift Clip
The DESC multi-drift clip attaches the exterior stud to the top track (head-of-wall) which is fastened to building structure, allowing for vertical deflection and lateral drift. This clip prevents vertical load transfers into the curtain wall. The inserts are pre-installed to the clip making installation quick, easy, and efficient. Clips are packaged in durable buckets for easy handling on the jobsite.
Features & Benefits
Insert allows for 2” total vertical deflection and 2” lateral drift
- Greater than 2” are available
Loads based on #10 screws
- Screws are provided
- Large insert piece for easy installation
- Pre-punched guide holes
- Transfers horizontal loads into structure
- Provides positive attachment at each stud
|Model No.||Stud Thickness||F1 Allowable Loads (lbs)|
|Mils||Gauge||Fy (ksi)||2 #10 Screws*|
|Maximum Allowable Clip Load||830|
|Model No.||Stud Thickness||Allowable Loads (lbs)|
|Mils||Gauge||Fy (ksi)||2 #10 Screws*||3 #10 Screws*|
|Maximum Allowable Clip Load||1890||1890|
- Allowable loads have not been increased for wind, seismic, or other factors.
- The allowable loads are based on the steel properties of the members being connected, per AISI S100.
- The nominal strength of the screw must be at least 3.75 times the allowable loads.
- Penetration of screws through joined materials should not be less than 3 exposed threads. Install and tighten screws in accordance with the screw manufacturer's recommendations.
- Screw shear capacities are based on allowable strength design (ASD) and include a safety factor of 3.0.
- Allowable loads indicated on the table(s) are for force in single direction only. If more than one force is applied to the connection, the designer shall provide the combined forces check as required by AISI S100.
- The designer shall check the bending in the short leg of clip.
Quantity / Order Information
|Model No.||Width||Qty / Bucket||lbs / Bucket|
All DESC slide clips include inserts. Additional lengths available upon request.